I visited one the large brick-and-mortar companies that also has a decent e-commerce web site. Below is what I found out. I tried to organization the cookie data the best I could. Some of the companies are familiar to all of us like DoubleClick. But al lot of these companies I had no clue about most of these companies until I looked them up.
I would recommend that your turn on Lightbeam for a day and use Firefox exclusively. At the end of the day you will be amazed by how many companies are tracking you. Of course don’t be too surprise, the top companies in the tracking space bring in over 39 billion in revenue. This is big business. Don’t get me wrong I depend of these companies to profit by seeing what I do online. I don’t want to pay to use Google, Yahoo, or Bing to search the web. I like having services like Hotmail, Gmail for free. I want to have Amazon recommend books to me based on prior buys and searches.
I also want to have a say into who is tracking me, what I do, how the information can be used and by who. The issue now is how big and powerful these business has gotten without anyone really realizing it. Now add that with powerful behavioral software and we are facing a monster. Like Pogo said, “we have met the enemy and he is us”. Privacy and the need for it are still valid in our connected world. How much of our privacy we keep is going to be decided on how much we are willing to get involved and learn what and who are behind the curtain. I would say right now we are facing an uphill battle.
Ad content providers:
* Tribalfusion.com Tribal Fusion is a global online advertising provider.
* Amazon CloudFront is a content delivery web service. It integrates with other Amazon Web Services to give developers and businesses an easy way to distribute content to end-users with low latency; high data transfer speeds, and no commitments.
* Tapad.com apad’s proprietary technologies, advertisers can now employ consistent ads across multiple platforms: home computers, tablets, smartphones, and now even smart televisions
Tracking Management. (Technologies used to track you, what you do and what you click on, as you go from site to site, surfing the Web.)
* 2mdn.net is a domain used by Doubleclick.
* Atwola.net is a domain used by AOL Advertising.
* Mathtag.com is a domain used by MediaMath.
* W55c.net s a domain used by Lotame.
* Googlesyndication.com is a domain used by Google Adsense.
* Fastclick.net s a domain used by ValueClick Media.
* Specificlick.net is a domain used by SpecificClick.
* ATDMT is a tracking cookie served by Microsoft subsidiary Atlas Solutions.
* Doubleclick.net A Google Company.
* GoogleLeadServices (not connected with Google Inc.) provides SEO services.
Big Data/Market analytics.
* monetate.com Ecommerce connecting customers to sales.
* http://www.bluekai.com big data marketing platform.
* Adnxs.com is run by AppNexus, a company that provides technology, data and analytics to help companies buy and sell online display advertising.
* Turn.com market analytics.
Consumer profiling/preference/psychology software.
* http://www.liveclicker.com/web/ Liveclicker is there to provide all the tools necessary to create one-of-kind interactive shopping experiences.
* 247-inc.com Inventory check based on buying preferences on web site visitor.
* Tumri, an interactive ad platform. With their new technology, ads dynamically change based on geography, demographics, psychographics, media type, sites, etc.